What Are Dental Veneers?
Do you avoid pictures or hide your smile because you’re unhappy with your natural teeth? Studies have shown that a significant number of people share this feeling. Cosmetic dentistry has advanced over time, and there are options to help you step back into the spotlight. Whether the issue is crooked, gapped, misshapen, discolored, or damaged teeth, dental veneers can be an excellent way to improve their appearance and your confidence!
What Are Veneers?
They are remarkably durable, thin shells of porcelain or plastic composite placed over the natural tooth or teeth and bonded with an adhesive. Of the two types of veneers, porcelain is most prevalent and, with proper care, often lasts ten years or more. Plastic or composite veneers are akin to the look of porcelain but differ in the making and durability.
What is the Procedure?
At Fenton Family Dentistry, you’ll begin with a consultation to discuss your goals so that our dental staff can make the most appropriate personal recommendation for you. Next, after carefully examining the condition of your teeth, we will establish the best material and color. To ensure a precise fit, we then take an impression of your natural teeth. Porcelain veneers are crafted off-site, and composite veneers are created on-site. Your teeth will require reshaping so that the veneers can bond. A follow-up appointment may be scheduled to reexamine placement and be sure the gums are responding appropriately.
What Are the Advantages?
- Veneers have a natural appearance.
- They offer a stronger alternative to crowns.
- You select the level of whiteness in color, and they are stain-resistant.
- Caring for veneers is very similar to the best practices of natural teeth.
Are There Disadvantages?
- The process cannot be reversed.
- Teeth with veneers can still develop decay.
- People who clench their jaw or grind their teeth are not ideal candidates.
- Veneers are not for those with weakened teeth from gum disease or decay
Dr. Nieva and the entire team at Fenton Family Dentistry are focused on providing every patient with exceptional service and care. Review more about our cosmetic dental services, contact us with questions, and schedule your consultation today!