Cosmetic dentistry is a personal choice, and Fenton Family Dentistry is proud to help our patients feel more confident about their smiles! Every patient—and every smile—is unique. That’s why we approach each cosmetic dentistry procedure with a combination of state-of-the-art technology and personalized attention and care. It’s our goal to make sure patients completely understand what treatment is best for them, why certain procedures may be needed, and if there are any alternatives.
Dental patients can choose to have a tooth or multiple teeth “bonded” to fix cosmetic issues. Tooth bonding is the process of filling in areas of the teeth with a resin material. The material is bonded into place using adhesives and a high intensity curing light. While bonding is most frequently used for cosmetic purposes, it can also be used as an alternative to amalgam fillings or to protect a portion of the tooth’s root that has been exposed when gums recede.
Dental bonding can be used to fix the following cosmetic issues:
- Decayed teeth
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Discolored teeth
- Space between teeth
- Irregular shape or length of teeth
The steps toward bonding:
- Examination: Fenton Family Dentistry staff will discuss the best options for you, and take any needed x-rays or scans. We’ll also cover financial responsibility and ensure that we answer any questions you might have.
- Tooth prep: The surface of the tooth is roughened before the dentist will apply a conditioning liquid to help the bonding material adhere to the tooth.
- Application: The resin is molded and smoothed to the desired shape, and the dentist uses an ultraviolet light to harden the material before trimming, shaping and polishing it to match your natural teeth.
With good oral hygiene, tooth bonding should be permanent. A few best practices:
- Keep your teeth and gums healthy
- Schedule regular check-ups and professional cleanings
- Avoid biting down on hard foods, ice, or other hard materials that could crack the bonding
Fenton Family Dentistry will work with you to determine the best course of action and prescribe a unique treatment that meets your needs. Dr. Nieva and the entire team at Fenton Family Dentistry are focused on providing every patient with exceptional service and care. Schedule an appointment or contact us to learn more about bonding procedures.