When missing teeth aren’t replaced, it may cause the surrounding teeth to shift in the mouth. This can cause issues with speech, chewing, and overall appearance. In addition, when a gap exists, the teeth above may start to move downward, creating further difficulty.
Dental implants are a permanent solution for broken, removed, or missing teeth. Unlike crowns or veneers, a dental implant is a fixed piece of hardware, which serves as an anchor for an artificial tooth, permanent bridge, or in some cases, dentures.
Dental implants have a long history of successfully repairing damaged or lost teeth. By installing new teeth, chewing and speaking abilities, as well as the appearance of the smile, are restored. This procedure is a multi-step process, best performed by an experienced professional. Great care is taken by Fenton Family Dentistry to guarantee a healthy, happy dental implant procedure.
The dental implant is a piece of hardware affixed to the jawbone or metal framework. This allows for long-term correction of the missing tooth without concern of the replacement teeth becoming loose or displaced.
The steps toward a dental implant:
- Examination: Fenton Family Dentistry staff will discuss the best options for you, and take any needed x-rays or scans.
- Hardware installation: The implant hardware is placed in the space left by the missing tooth.
- Healing: Before the artificial tooth, permanent bridge, or denture is installed, up to a week is given for the jawline to heal around the dental implant, allowing for a strong base for the new tooth.
- Tooth placement: The replacement teeth are fixed to the implant hardware.
With diligent care, dental implants can last for many years. A few best practices:
- Brush and floss twice a day or more, especially after meals
- Schedule regular cleanings and check-ups, every three to six months
- Use additional oral hygiene products, such as mouth rinses
- Continue professional monitoring of the implant, including x-rays
Fenton Family Dentistry offers a range of services to suit all your dental needs. Through careful examination, discussion of all potential solutions, and expert care, lifelong comfort and confidence is just a click away. Schedule your free consultation today.
Monday 7AM -11AM & 12PM - 4PM
Tuesday 9AM - 1PM & 2PM - 6PM
Wednesday 7AM - 11AM & 12PM - 4PM
Thursday 9AM - 1PM & 2PM - 6PM
Friday 8AM - 2PM
552 Old Smizer Mill Road
Fenton, MO 63026